Lower back pain prevention
You can help prevent some forms of back pain by strengthening your back with appropriate exercises and by avoiding activities that lead to back injury.
1. Practice good posture.
2. Sleep on your side or on your back with a pillow under your knees if you can.
3. Exercise regularly, but stretch before and after.
4. Practice abdominal crunches to strengthen abdominal muscles, which support your lower back. Also, walk or swim regularly to strengthen your lower back.
5. Lift objects safely. Always lift from a squatting position, using your hips and your legs to do the heavy work. Avoid lifting, twisting and bending at the same time.
6. Avoid sitting or standing for extended periods of time.
7. Wear soft soled shoes with heels that are less than 1½ inches high.